Opera & Midnight Commander

Sridhar M.A. mas at mylug.org
Wed Mar 29 01:45:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:21:57PM -0600, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
   > On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:21:57PM +0300, Harijs Buss wrote:
   > > I was also unpleasantly surprised not to find mc in Ubuntu/Kubuntu
   > > distributions. What was the reason to exclude this small but very useful
   > > program (size only about 0.6 Mb) from Ubuntu distro? Being direct analog to
   > > very popular FAR program in Windows world, mc makes life much easier for
   > > Windows converts. It is essential for mc to be already in distribution
   > > because it is often needed before any GUI and networking has been
   > > established.
   > >
   > > Some other distros, e.g. Mandriva has mc right in the installation disks.
   >
   > I agree that mc should be included by default. I don't use it all the
   > time, but it is a very useful tool and can be quite beneficial to help
   > users new to linux to get comfortable with the command line.

For new users, I would suggest emelfm rather than mc. I am not sure
whether it is packaged for ubuntu.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.                                 GPG KeyID : F6A35935
  Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

There are more ways of killing a cat than choking her with cream.