Opera & Midnight Commander

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Mar 28 21:09:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 10:56 -0800, John Montgomery wrote:

> My browser of choice is Opera but I can not find it in synaptic.

As others have pointed out, it is proprietary, The Penguin Liberation
Front builds packages for Ubuntu and includes Opera. Go to their site
and read the instructions for adding their repository (1)

The instructions on the site refer to using command line tools, but you
can do it all in Synaptic:
* Add the repository in Synaptic > Settings > Repository
* Download the PLF's gpg key (2), and import it in Synaptic's
Authentication tab. Actually you should compare the key fingerprint
(which is shown after you import) to a source you trust, but I don't
know where the PLF publishes the fingerprint
* Close the repository settings
* Click Reload on the Synaptic toolbar
* Search for opera and install

Note that while PLF offers many other handy packages, not all are legal
in all jurisdictions. (Opera however is safe)

(1) http://wiki.ubuntu-fr.org/doc/plf
(2) http://plf.zarb.org/packages.php