Dapper upgrade with resolvconf not working on startup

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Mar 28 13:54:44 UTC 2006

Adam Done wrote:

>>After my testing I have concluded the issues lies with my resolvconf
>>script which is not getting setup properly on boot to accept a network
>>change/startup.
>>
>>I  am on a 15" Ti Powerbook and float between different networks and
>>have since this time have resolvconf update my nameserver info when
>>changing networks/interfaces.  I am mostly on static networks but do
>>connect at times through dhcp on/with other networks.   ALL my testing
>>have been on a static network so there are not any confusions of extra
>>variables with DHCP.  I am very perplexed as to why and what may be
>>hindering my resolconf to update my nameserver info upon network startup
>>on boot.  I  am looking for extra help to bring this issue to a close.
>
> Well... after uninstalling resolvconf and not being able to change the
> resolv.conf on the fly I installed it back and created a small hack of a
> startup script to restart the network right after the network services
> were started.  This is a fix till I can figure out why without restating
> the network services resolv.conf does not update properly.

The fact that you are making this work by restarting networking implies that
you aren't using ifplugd.  iirc, "/etc/init.d/networking restart" will
simply ifdown all interfaces, then ifup them.  ifplugd will watch your
network connection, ifdown the interface when the link goes away, and ifup
it when it comes back.  Remove resolvconf, install ifplugd.

As for why it doesn't work on boot, if you're on a static network, you
normally want "auto eth0" in your /etc/network/interfaces, but if you're
using dhcp you don't.  With ifplugd you don't need the interface set to
auto (in fact, booting is usually faster if it isn't).

Finally, do your networks not even _offer_ dhcp?  DHCP is "the better way".
It's interesting that you talk about using static to avoid confusion - ime,
not using dhcp is the major cause of networking confusion.
--
derek