Clock : can't handle winter/summer time automatically ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Mar 28 11:05:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 21:15 +1100, Adam Conrad wrote:
> If your hardware clock is in local time (UTC=no), then we assume on boot
> that your hardware clock is correct and set the system clock from that
> (though ntpdate, if it's installed, should violently fix that for you
> later in the boot process)
>
> Given that the only reason to EVER use "UTC=no" (or, rather, to have
> your hardware clock set to local time) is because you're dual-booting
> with Windows, which doesn't know how to deal with UTC clocks, we tend to
> assume that the adjustment's probably already been done for you in your
> other OS.

Ah, thanks Adam for shedding some light. I have indeed UTC set to NO.
I can't remember why I do it though, I had some problems when setting it
to yes in the past, and now I just do it out of habit, but forgot the
actual reason. Most probably it was because of what you just
explained...
Since Linux won't quite rule the world before 5 or 10 years, I will have
to keep Windows around for the odd occasion where it can be useful.
So I guess in practice, this means I will have to keep UTC to "no", and
adjust the clock manually, which is okay. After all I have already
adjusted the alarm-clock, my wrist watch, the mobile phone, so adjusting
one more device isn't a big deal ;-)
I would have thought that ntp would have been able to deal with it
though, since I use a timer server in my country, which presumably is
adjusted...
Or maybe ntp just happens to be broken in Dapper right now, dunno...

> I don't think Vincent (who appears to live in France) was suffering from the
> same bug. :)

Yep, I am in Frog lang... And according to your e-mail address, you
appear to live in Ubuntu land, wherever that is ;-)
The Ubuntu domain name is nice, but it keeps one from seeing what
country one is from. :-(
I must confess I quite like to see the country suffix, to see where
people are from, it makes the people more real to me, somehow... ;-)

--
Vince