Automatix?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Tue Mar 28 07:32:23 UTC 2006

'Forum Post wrote:

> The result of such an action would not be any better. Look at this
> imaginary scenario:
>
> Automatix does not touch /etc/apt/sources.list and assigns a temporary
> sources.list at a different location and it crashes in the middle while
> downloading a package from a  repository which is not present on the
> default sources.list.
>
> now when the system recovers its left with a broken package which does
> not have a reference in the system's sources.list.

Please elaborate on this point. What do you mean with 'when the system
recovers'? I can only image that with 'recovery' you mean 'restarting
automatix'. Surely this would be part of the implementation, no?

If you mean with 'recovery' a user typing 'sudo apt-get install -f' or
'sudo dpkg --configure -a', then it depends: If all files had been
downloaded, then the installation is finished. If not, then no harm has
been done yet and apt will refuse the installation due to unsatisfiable
dependencies.

Whats the problem?

Greetings,
	Reinhard

> On the other hand, Automatix currently temporarily replaces the
> system's sources.list and does all that it has to do and then asks the
> user which sources.list he/she prefers to have on his/her system.

Which breaks every other package manager. Great idea :/

Greetings,
	Reinhard