Automatix?

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Mon Mar 27 04:47:15 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 21:47, Bryann Melvin wrote:
<SNIP>
> It would seem that someone has made a tool that others are failing to
> appreciate. It apparently has worked for quite a few people. A few
> months ago on this list people were raving about it. Instead of dumping
> on the person that built it how about offering to help make it better.
>
> I saw a link to a comparison chart ..That's good. It makes the point
> that the other tool was made by a group of people. Good too.  If you
> don't like the tool in either case you don't have to install it.
>
> There NEEDS to be better tools and more tools that are GUI based.
>
> There are millions of people who will use computers that have no more
> interest in using the command line than they do in rebuilding their
> toaster or television. I don't use automatix, never probably will, but I
> don't expect everyone who uses a computer to learn everything I have
> since I put a Tandy Model 1 together and the original apple kit.
>
> Computers are an appliance to many not the holy grail.
>
> Even the guide and Unnoficial Guide need to start being written to do as
> much as possible from the GUI if Ubuntu is going to be aimed at everyday
> users.
>
> Personally I try to do everything I can from the GUI so I can help
> people that are clueless on a cli to be able to migrate to Linux.
>
> If it is desirable for Linux and/or Ubuntu to become usable for the
> mainstream computer owner We need to get our head out of our butts. Look
> at the Guide and Unnoficial Guide.
>
> Let's take a look at dial up:
>  Find me a regular consumer type that is going to use the published way
> get dial up working.
>
> They'll get dialup working fine...after throwing the Ubuntu CD in the
> drawer. (or circular file)
>
> Tell them how to do it WITH THE GUI
>
> tell them How to use synaptic or adept to get a program Skip the APT Get
> except for support when things go wrong.
>
> It is entirely within the realm of possibility that stumbling on Arnie's
> program has caused some to be able to get their DVDs working on Ubuntu
> instead of trashing it and Putting the Old win98 Win ME or such CD in
> one more computer and buying Cyber DVD or something.
>
> That's good, so suggestions how to make his program better might be in
> order.
>
> AND BTW to the list in general: get off the "Grandma" thing. I've been
> one...three times.
> I've also got a few degrees and can fly jets too. Probably learn to do a
> few more tings before I get dementia  :-)
>
> Bryann Melvin

Well said.  I've been using W95/Linux (Caldera), W98&98SE/Linux (Mandrake
6/7/9), XP/Linux (SuSE/Gentoo/Debian), Linux (Gentoo)/Linux (Kubuntu) and,
frankly, when I first tried out ubuntu it didn't stay on the drive overnight.
Later, a sysadmin mentioned the newer version & I tried it.  I like to get up
quickly.  No fscking around until *after* I'm up & running & start tweaking
for my needs.

Arnieboy's script got me up & running w/DVDs, Firefox 1.5, et. al. --all of
which I was using b-4 switching so saw no  reason to go w/o it just because I
switched.  I ran into some troubles, sure.  Nothing serious, though.  All of
them operator error, I believe.  New architectures tend to do that to a
distro-n00b.

ATTABOY, ARNIEBOY!

- --
	...CH