Bizarre Breezy DVD issue.

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 27 09:47:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:13:57 +0800
"Michael T. Richter" <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, now I have a question: how can I share this disk with my family?  I
> can't send them the AVI version of it because I can't make one that
> works.  (And trust me, they REALLY will not be able to figure out how to
> play a VOB.  Yes.  I know.  Trust me on this.)  I can't copy the disk to
> an ISO file for them to burn.  (Strangely they can handle that.)  What
> Magic Incantations<tm> do I need to add to make the various
> programs--each of which has worked just fine when ripping protected
> DVDs, mind!--recognise that there is audio to copy?

Hi Michael,

I'm a newbie with DVDs, but I got this to work at least (much to my
surprise)

I found I could create an image of the DVD simply by running

sudo dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/peter/dump

on the mounted DVD. I assume this dumps a complete image, including the
file system of the DVD.

This image plays fine in totem-xine and vlc.

The "dump" file is mountable using

sudo mount -o loop dump your-directory-of-choice

but you don't need to mount it to play it with for example

vlc ~/dump

I assume that this image file could be "burned" directly to a DVD, although
I don't have a DVD burner, just a Mac iBook G4 with a drive that reads
DVDs but only writes CDs.

Quite a few assumptions here, so I don't know if this approach will help,
but in theory I can't think why not...

See if it works for you.

 --
Peter Garrett