Pure-ftpd problems and work-around ( was Re: inetd )

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 27 08:06:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:46:38 -0600
mikus at bga.com (Mikus Grinbergs) wrote:

> On Ubuntu - I downloaded pure-ftpd, but could not find any SIMPLE
> way to get it launched.  [Currently I'm invoking 'pure-ftpd' from
> the command line on the Ubuntu system when I need to transfer
> files under the control of another system.]
>
> I've looked in all the menus (and GUI settings) I could find in my
> Ubuntu system, and NOWHERE found anything to "activate" pure-ftpd.
> [Not even within something called "PureFTPdAdministration"]

As an experiment, i just installed pure-ftpd to see if I could work out
what your issue might be.

Conclusion: There seems to be a problem with the start-up script

Running  " sudo /etc/init.d/pure-ftpd start"  (or restart) does not start
the daemon. I don't know enough bash to find the problem, at least not
quickly, but what *does* seem to work is a straight

sudo pure-ftpd

then Ctrl +Z to suspend, followed by " bg" to background it. You could
"disown" it to keep it running

$ sudo pure-ftpd

[1]+  Stopped                 sudo pure-ftpd
peter at prospero:~ $ bg
[1]+ sudo pure-ftpd &
peter at prospero:~ $ !ps
ps aux | grep pure-ftpd
root     31809  0.0  0.2   4496   988 pts/3    S    17:53   0:00 pure-ftpd
(SERVER) peter at prospero:~ $ jobs
[1]+  Running                 sudo pure-ftpd &
disown %1
exit

I tested this on my small LAN and found it was working OK ( could log on
and use the server).

Hope this helps. Looks like a bug to me ( running Breezy, 5.10 ) Can
anyone else confirm the problem and work around? Or offer a fix for the
start up scripts?

--
Peter Garrett