Ubuntu is not Firefox friendly

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 27 03:39:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:49:27AM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> Just out of interest.. is there a specific reason why we aren't
> supporting epiphany in Ubuntu as the default standard?

My answer: Because epiphany sucks. Another answer: Because Firefox is
more usable. What do I mean by this? Well, most everyone who switches
to Ubuntu (if they weren't already familiar with linux) is familiar
with Firefox, for one.

> It seems to be a fair bit "slicker" in Gnome than Firefox is, and uses
> the same (similar) back end...

I don't really know what you mean by "slicker."

Don't get me wrong -- I'm starting to dislike Firefox. Yet, the reason
for this is not based on "slickness" issues or anything like
that. Instead, it's because of the enormous amount of wasted memory.

If Ubuntu were to promote a different default standard, I think that
either Mozilla or Galeon would be a better choice than epiphany. In
terms of how all the above browsers work, I actually like Firefox the
best (lots of easy keyboard shortcuts and the like), but it seems that
Galeon and Mozilla are the best in terms of resource usage (I'm not
basing this on any benchmarks, but rather with the speed at which they
seem to run to me).

Mike