installation of a USB HP PSC1610 printer problems

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 23:39:31 UTC 2006

Hi Y'all,

I am trying to bring up an HP PSC1610 printer and have run into the
following problem.

I hooked up the printer and the cable between one of the USB ports on my
system everything seems to be correct, however ----

After downloading hplip-0.9.9 and doing a configure, make and make install
on my Ubuntu 5.04 system, successfully.  I issued the following commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/hplip restart
sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Since there were no problems reported so far.

These were followed by - sudo hp-setup

The following information was displayed:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 0.9.9)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 1.2

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

[ERROR]: No devices found.
[ERROR]: Error occured during interactive mode. Exiting.

What must I do to correct the problem?

Additionally I ran  the following  command:

sudo lsusb -t
cannot open /proc/bus/usb/devices, No such file or directory (2)

How do I verify that the ports are working???

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com