(Dapper) Totally bizarre GDM error

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun Mar 26 23:26:24 UTC 2006

When I start GDM or KDM, my screen looks like a TV test
pattern: I can't see anything on the screen, including the
text that I'm typing. But I can type text, and the commands
go through fine. If I then switch to a virtual terminal and
type "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start" (while GDM is running),
then switch back to the virtual terminal in which GDM is
running, everything is fine and I can compute like a normal
person. This *despite* the fact that KDM doesn't actually
run: it rightly gives me the error that it can't run because
a window manager is already running.

So as far as I can tell, nothing really changes, but
everything gets fixed. Any idea what this could be all
about?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org