when to accept Update Manager available updates

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Mar 26 19:46:38 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 20:47, Default User wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 18:39 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > I am surpised that the update manager gave you a glibc optimised
> > for 686 if you don't have 686. Many one of the gurus here can
> > comment.
> >
> > All I can suggest is that Ubuntu thought you had a 686
> > system fom the beginning.
> >
> > BTW, I have no idea whether running glibc-686 on an AMD k6 will
> > cause Firefox to crash. Maybe someone in the know can comment.
>
> confirmation: the processor is an AMD K6-2 400, and "uname -a"
> returns:
>
> i586 GNU/Linux
>
> so i would think Ubuntu would see it as a '586.

AMD K markings are deceptive - the K6 is definitely a 586 (Pentium
class) and can't execute the 686 optimizations.

Whether it will crash Firefox or not is a tricky question and can't be
answered conclusively without trying it and seeing the results.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za