newbie question about packages

nemir nemiria nemir at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 26 16:47:48 UTC 2006

Hi.

Just trialling Ubuntu for the first time (usually I use *BSD, or Fedora if I
need to run linux kernel...).

I am a little curious about the packages.  Not totally up with the history
here, but it seems that Ubuntu is closely related to Debian,  and uses the
same package management stuff.  The thing that is confusing me at the moment
is whether I can use the debian packages under ubuntu or not...?  Some
packages seem to indicate that I can, others don't.

Sorry if this has been covered off before,  but I did a (rudimentary) search
for info and couldn't really find anything informative.

Nemir