Ubuntu Packages

Jhair Tocancipa Triana jhair.tocancipa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 11:29:02 UTC 2006

Michael M writes:

> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 21:59 -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry to disagree. But I would have said "Synaptic" can be tricky as
>> it's a gui application... And then recommended the command line version
>> "apt-get".
>>
>> Different strokes for different folks and all that, but as long as I can
>> make sense of "man Command-Name" (which I'll admit isn't always) I
>> usually find the command line tools much more predictable and hence LESS
>> tricky than their gui counterparts. Plus if I don't get the results I
>> expect, it's much easier to ask for help by posting the exact command
>> line I tried than by trying to describe each and every click I took with
>> a gui application.

> I thought apt-get and related was more or less on its way out in favor
> of aptitude, which is reputedly more robust.  That's the impression I've
> gotten from various Debian sources, anyway.  Of course, I doubt apt
> would go away completely -- after all, dpkg is still around!

I would say dpkg will stay there for a long time. By design[1] (or
maybe historical reasons?), the logic to manipulate .deb packages is
distributed between different programs: low-level programs like dpkg
and high-level programs like apt-get, synaptics or aptitude.

This has shown to bring a lot of flexibility, think for example in the
apt-get ports to support the .rpm format.

[1] http://www.wiggy.net/presentations/2001/DebianPkgMgt/html/

--
--Jhair