Mac Mini (powerpc), Airport Extreme, dapper, and bcm43xx

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sun Mar 26 02:37:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 19:31 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> On 3/24/06, Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:
>
> Since I'm thinking of maybe acquiring one of these G4 mac mini one of
> these days, how about the rest of computer?  Is everything working
> well?   I have vague recollections of sound and fan issue with Ubuntu
> when the mac mini was first released.

I've been using it for a week now, effectively as a set top box (hooked
up to my stereo and Dell 2000FP monitor). I haven't noticed any problems
with the fan. Sound's great. There was some reason why I had to go to
dapper, but I don't recall at the moment what was problematic in breezy.
I think it had to do with xv or dvd playback, but I'm not sure.

I'm using totem-xine for xvid video and DVD playback, banshee for music,
and everything's quite nice.

Note that they've only got stereo sound out, and no microphone. It's not
a problem for me, but it might be annoying for others.

Oh, and I got an ATI remote wonder II for it. It's decent enough, and
works essentially out of the box with dapper (though some keyboard
shortcuts have to be remapped).

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>