Ubuntu Packages

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Mar 26 00:26:48 UTC 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 18:10, Michael Clayton wrote:
> Okay i found the Synaptic Package Manager and installed what i
> wanted off of it and i found where to get the Ubuntu Packages off
> of the interenet. I downloaded the Wine Package from teh internet
> but now how do i install the Ubuntu Package onto my computer?

Michael,

Just a tip - I've read through your post and it looks to me like you
are trying to load software on an Ubuntu machine the same way it's
done on Windows. This is not correct.

On Windows, you find a package to download somewhere, and double-click
it. The package then extracts and installs itself using MS Installer
or InstallShield or similar.

There is a way to do installations that way on Ubuntu, but it's not
the preferred way. Instead, there is a set of programs called 'apt'
which does all this on your behalf. You ask apt to install wine for
you, it will look in a predetermined place to find the wine files, it
downloads and installs them. 'apt' can be tricky, as it's a command
line tool. Instead you should be using Synaptic, which is basically
the gui version of the same thing. Find it on the menus, search for
wine and take it from there. You might have to enable the universe or
multiverse repositories first (I doubt wine is in the default
repositories).

All your questions on this thread so far will be resolved if you
follow this simple route.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za