Not a bash, just the facts

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Mar 25 22:18:03 UTC 2006

Eugene Vilensky wrote:
> "
> I think we are really minimizing what Sun has to lose.  Microsoft already
> tried the "embrace and extend" nonsense with Java.  Why would anyone think
> it wouldn't happen again with a GPL'd Java?"
>
> Because its GPL.

The GPL has no provision for compatibility. Anyone could grab a GPL Java
and modify it in a way that is incompatible with the Java specification.
The viability of Java depends 100% on the expectation that any JRE will
have a certain set of features that will work in certain ways.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org