Stability problems.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Mar 25 21:51:12 UTC 2006

Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:
> Yes, it is a vector graphics library. You can get the description of
> the library with apt-cache show libcairo2.

I learned a new command today :)

> grep-status -F Status -n "install ok installed" -a -F Depends libcairo2 -s Package,Depends

Oh, two new commands today :)

Firefox and gFTP both depend on Cairo. I'm surprised about gFTP. I half
expected Firefox to depend on Cairo, and indeed, further research shows
that Gecko 1.8 uses Cairo to support SVG graphics.

I don't understand why gFTP needs Cairo, but it does.

Hmmm... a lot of other programs depend on Cairo. Perhaps everything that
uses GTK. So I'm thinking what many of these programs don't actually use
Cairo but it shows up as a dependency because GTK itself depends on
Cairo. So the fact that I see gFTP requiring Cairo probably doesn't mean
anything.

Knowing that Cairo is for 2D graphics, I'll venture to guess that gFTP
doesn't actually use it for anything. The fact that gFTP can be compiled
with GTK 1.2 (ie. pre-Cairo) suggests that I'm right.

So now I think that I just had bad luck this week and these crashes are
not actually related. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye to see if I
they persist after changing gFTP to passive mode.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--