Fridge: MEPIS Founder Plans Transition To Ubuntu

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Sat Mar 25 19:35:27 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 19:07 +0000, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6045116609.html
>
> Interesting. I expect that this will make more people cry that Ubuntu is
> a fork.

They can cry themselves a river. :)

> It seems like this reasoning should apply to SimplyMEPIS as well. Does
> anyone know if SimplyMEPIS is binary compatibile with Debian? If it
> isn't, then basing it on Ubuntu might actually reduce the number of
> binary incompatible distros (and /that/ is my point).

Well. 'Whatever'.. I honestly can't see what the point would be for
Mepis to exist, with Ubuntu around. (But then I don't understand that
for most distros except for perhaps a handful of them that cover
specific niches like Puppylinux or that thing that's dedicated to being
a MythTV box, and so on.

People need hobbies I guess, so they take (K)Ubuntu, change the theme
and desktop graphic and add some of their tools and call it Mepis
instead of Mubuntu or some such. <Shrugs all around>