Fridge: MEPIS Founder Plans Transition To Ubuntu

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Mar 25 19:07:27 UTC 2006

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Ooops, missed the URL ;-):
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6045116609.html

Interesting. I expect that this will make more people cry that Ubuntu is
a fork.

As I understand it, the main issue is that Ubuntu is not binary
compatibile with Debian Sarge, and the reason for that is:

* Ubuntu must be compilable with the gcc+libs it ships with.
* Ubuntu is supposed to ship with newer stuff.
* Hence, Ubuntu is compiled with a newer toolchain, which causes
   binary incompatibility.

I'm about to make a point, please bear with me :)

It seems like this reasoning should apply to SimplyMEPIS as well. Does
anyone know if SimplyMEPIS is binary compatibile with Debian? If it
isn't, then basing it on Ubuntu might actually reduce the number of
binary incompatible distros (and /that/ is my point).

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org