Creating PDF with gnome-cups-manager doesn't work

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat Mar 25 11:26:42 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, 25. März 2006 10:37 schrieb Nik:
> In article <200603251015.04736.ggrubbish at web.de>,
>
>    Gerhard Gaußling <ggrubbish at web.de> wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 25. März 2006 09:37 schrieb Nik:
> > > Look in your home directory for a file along the line of
> > > 'job_36-untitled_document/pdf'.
> >
> > I'll try that again without the changed lines "RunAsUser No" in
> > cupsd.conf and without world writeaccess
> > for /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL , which works now for me.
> >
> > I'll switch back to "RunAsUser Yes" and groop writable SPOOL to
> > enhance security again. It could work, because I found such a
> > "job_[0-9]-untitled_document.pdf in my home directory.
> >
> > Isn't there a possibility to get a "save as" dialog? It's odd to
> > save the PDF documents "randomly".
>
> I've no idea!
> It's not randomly saved, though - it takes the name of the print job
> (the 'job_36' bit - the number changes)  and is always saved in your
> home directrory.
> For me, at least, this seems pretty good.

Hmmm.. That all doesn't work for me. The only way to produce PDF Files
with mozilla through gnome-cups-manager (gnome printer spooler ?) is to
set "RunAsUser Yes"  (default) to "RunAsUser No" an do
sudo chmod 777 /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL.

What are the security downsides on this?

I also copied cups-pdf.conf from
http://cip.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/
to /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf.
"Copy the file cups-pdf.conf to /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf (or whatever you
set above in cups-pdf.h) and modify it to meet you requirements. All
options are commented and the defaults should work fine on most
systems."

There, one can define another Directory than $HOME foer PDF output.

When printing PDF from mozilla I use this line in the device options of
the moz printer dialog:
lpr -o PreFilter=Level1 ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+"-P$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}

and get PDF's like
-rw-------  1 gerhard gerhard  19705 2006-03-24 22:27
tfv764eOc+0r+ckMTbk__0____0___0_.pdf
-rw-------  1 gerhard gerhard  36380 2006-03-25 11:59
zNvGw2EuZnlhVGAsRqE__0__kghostview,__0_.pdf

Hmm... that looks pretty randomly to me ;-)

Also, there are no fonts displayed in the created PDF's by looking them
with gv,  xpdf, evince. If I take a look on these PDF's with a viewer
like  kghostview, kpdf the fonts in the thumbnails on the left are
shown properly, but it takes ages to render the page (simply: they will
not render at all, while the clock is turning round)!

The only way to render the fonts is to use `gs -display $PDFFILE`

Here is the output of xpdf/evince while trying to render such a PDF:

[...]
Error (4561): No font in show
Error: Unknown font tag 'R18'
Error (4569): No font in show
Error: Unknown character collection
'mozilla_printout-k8FVXI42znySd16Ai2dJ51EDJdI='
Error: Missing or invalid Encoding entry in Type 0 font
Error: Unknown character collection
'mozilla_printout-tLeVffP/zNvGw2EuZnlhVGAsRqE='
Error: Missing or invalid Encoding entry in Type 0 font
Error: Unknown character collection
'mozilla_printout-FsWXfakr0K1d3i4EiaC9M2LeSRs='
Error: Missing or invalid Encoding entry in Type 0 font
Error: Unknown font tag 'R11'
Error (3804): No font in show
Error (3861): No font in show
Error (3877): No font in show
Error (3899): No font in show
Error: Unknown font tag 'R18'
Error (4280): No font in show/space
Error: Unknown font tag 'R24'
Error (4297): No font in show
[...]
and so on...

How to configure, extend and use gnome-cups-manager the right way, or
even better: How to replace it in a gnome environment with kprinter
(I've got kde already installed and working on my ubuntu box).

regards

Gerhard Gaußling
--
I'm Sorry for my poor english! I hope I'll achieve anyway what I want to
say.