postfix/mail: server blacklisted -- what have I done wrong?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 24 16:03:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 16:37 +0100, Lea Gris wrote:
> Matt Price a écrit :
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > On a very small server running postfix and apache under breezy, I seem
> > to have gotten into some kind of trouble.  A mail sent this morning from
> > the system was bounced back from gmx.de with the following message:
> >
> > host mx0.gmx.net[213.165.64.100] said: 550-5.7.1 {mx016}
> >     The IP address of the server you are using to connect to GMX is
> > listed in
> >     550-5.7.1 the Composite Blocking List (CBL). 550-5.7.1  550-5.7.1For
> >     additional information, please visit 550-5.7.1
> >     http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=128.100.34.8  and 550 5.7.1 (
> >     http://www.gmx.net/serverrules ) (in reply to RCPT TO command)
> >
> > -----------------
> > so, I followed the link, which ultimately led me to this page about HELO
> > misconfiguration:
> > http://cbl.abuseat.org/lh.html
> >
> > Still wish I knew what "HELO" was about, but at least it helps.
> > Turns out that I I had been having some trouble in the last few weeks
> > with rejected mail complaining about "localhost.localdomain".  Finally
> > fixed it a few days ago by editing /etc/postfix/main.cf
> > ----
> > # myhostname = localhost.localdomain
> > myhostname = a.legitimate.domain.name
> > ----
> >
> > so a couple of questions follow for me:
> >
> > 1 - is this the likely cause of the problem?  THat is, have I already
> > fixed a problem that has only just now arisen?
> > 2 - If localhost.localdomain is ALWAYS a broken value for myaddress, how
> > does it come about that this is even a configuration option?  SHould I
> > for instance file a bug?
>
> not a bug.
>
> Either you have a dynamic IP address or an address listed as such in the
> related RBLs.
>
> Either the distination MX check for proper FQDN which can not be with
> dynamic IP address from internet providers that may not have proper
> reverse DNS either.
>
> The right thing to do is configure a Postfix RelayHost to your Internet
> Provider smtp relay such as smtp.myprovider.tld
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix and choose satellite system and provide
> the smtp relay name.
>
> or
>
> edit
> /etc/postfix/main.cf
> relayhost = smtp.whateveryourispmailrelayis.tld

in my case there is no relay, so I use an address which has been
assigned to this machine (which is directly visible on the internet --
an unusual situation I know).  I'm hoping this is the right solution.

What I still don't understand is, under what circumstances is
localhost.localdomain actually a permissible setting?

matt