how to setup /run telnet server

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Mar 24 15:27:33 UTC 2006

Craig,

Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I have two reasons for using telnet. The server in question is in
> Canada in my parent's basement with mythttv set up on it. I live in
> Japan and am in Canada for a couple weeks now when I can tweak the
> server. The newest version of mythtv allows remost connections to the
> frontend via telnet. (telnet ONLY, no ssh at this point). This will
> allow me to control the frontend from a remote location (ie Japan).

I'm not sure I understand this correctly. Isn't MythTV just an
appiaction runningon Ubuntu and it is the Ubuntu system you are trying
to get a telnet server running? If that is the case, connecting to the
system is under Ubuntu's control, so I don't understand why you cannot
ssh into the box and control MythTV. I'm obviously missing somthing here.

> The second reason is that even with the security issues I really want
> to have a secondary way into the box. I was last here in August.
> Sometime around October I modified the sshd.config file (remotely) and
> for some reason sshd wouldn't run anymore. So the server was running
> on it's own with no way for me to access it (and no one here who can
> do anything with a headless machine in the basement) for several
> months. THAT alone is worth less security to me right now.

If you can, I would put in another box with ssh running on it, ssh from
 Japan to the new box and then telnet from that box to your MythTV box
within a local network. The unencrypted passwords do not leave your
parents basement then and you can limit telnet access to your MythTV box
from this single point. But that may be more expense and work than you
were looking for!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold