how to setup /run telnet server

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Mar 24 13:22:24 UTC 2006

Matthew Kuiken wrote:

> Patrick Siglin wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:00:57 +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote
> <snip>
>>>
>>> Note - I know about the insecurities of telnet and I know someone is
>>> going to write back with suggestions concerning ssh. I already do run
>>> ssh, but I have a valid reason to need to run telnet as well. Thanks
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>
> <snip>
>>
>> I wouldn't run telnet. I would run ssh.
>
> LOL
>
> I'm sorry I can't help with the original question, but I find it
> absolutely hilarious that the responder so obviously didn't read the
> original posting.

I _did_, and I still would want to know what possible valid reason there
could be for running a telnet server.  My best bet would be because he's
coming through a firewall that doesn't allow the ssh port - in which case
I'd run an ssh daemon on the telnet port.  My second best bet is because
he's coming from a Windows client, which doesn't have ssh; in which case
I'd install putty or cygwin.
--
derek