Dapper post installation problem

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 11:39:05 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Sridhar M.A. <mas at mylug.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed the Dapper Flight 5 on my machine. Everything went off
> well---nor errors, no hassles, no problems detected during the
> installation.
>
> After the installation was complete, when I try to boot into the new
> installation, the machine hangs after displaying a couple of lines that
> generally comes up before the screen switches to splash/etc.
>
> Just writing from my memory:

>   boot
>
> It stays there; nothing happens. I tried passing the following
> parameters to the kernel with no effect:
>
>     vga=normal nosplash noacpi noapic
>
> The machine is AMD Athlon machine; 512 MB RAM, ASUS A7N266-VM board with
> onboard nvidia graphics.
>
> With the same cd, I could install perfectly on another (P4) machine.
> Congrats to the developers for making installation a smooth affair.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Sridhar M.A.                                 GPG KeyID : F6A35935
>   Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935
>
>   Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man
>   can never learn anything from history. -George Bernard Shaw

This is something that I reoprted as a bug a couple of months ago. Ben
seems to be having trouble identifying any cause as it shouldnt be
happeneing.
I have just noticed that you are the second person other than me with
this problem that has a Nforce based motherboard. Ill add a comment to
the bug report suggesting it as a possible canditate for the problem.
In the meantime, you might want to post a comment on the bug saying
"me too", the more people who can specify their hardware the better
chane we have of finding the fix.
The bug report is here:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/6550

I just thought, if you still have a Breezy install (or from breezy
Live CD) it might be worth running the hardwaer database tool that
identifies all your hardware. when it gives you your identifier
number, attach it to the bug report. I will do the same too tonight.
The hardweare tool is in Applications --> System Tools --> Ubuntu
Device Database