sound not working in breezy (SB audigy SE)

H.S. hs.samix at
Thu Mar 23 17:29:29 UTC 2006

crimsun at wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:45:34AM -0500, H.S. wrote:
>>One more thing, do I really need to install the new alsa stuff as given
>>in the web page above, or is this version of alsa there in Draper? I was
>>thinking maybe I could install the related packages from a new version
>>of Ubuntu if possible.
> You either need to follow the instructions on that wiki page if you
> plan to remain with Breezy, or you may dist-upgrade to Dapper
> completely.
> Thanks,

Yes, I got the part about the Wiki steps from your earlier post.
However, I was actually curious about the "-t" option in apt. For
example, let us say I have a mirror for dapper called in my sources.list file.

Then, by doing:
$> sudo apt-get update
$> sudo apt-get -t dapper install alsa-base

wouldn't I be able to install that particular package from dapper
distribution? This method works perfectly in Debian.

BTW, I checked and noticed that alsa-base in Dapper is also not the new
version that the Wiki page you mentioned earlier requires to get the
sound card working, so my above method is now just academic.