Not a bash, just the facts

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Mar 23 17:11:38 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 March 2006 17:01, Loïc Martin wrote:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Loïc Martin wrote:
> >> I think I must be having visions or we're talking about to
> >> different things. For me, installing Sun's has always been
> >> faster on Ubuntu than on Windows : open Synaptic, do a search
> >> for "java" (name and description) then install j2re1.4 and the
> >> j2re that also has in the name "mozilla-plugin". Then just
> >> accept the license agreement that pops up.
> >
> > That's the easy way - but it isn't in the default sources.list.
> > You need to enable at least universe (though I think it's
> > multiverse).  That's where the "it must be easier" part comes in
> > :-)  Because of the legal issues, we can't expect Ubuntu to
> > enable those repositories by default, but it would be nice if it
> > was clearly explained, early on in the install process, what you
> > would need to get some of these packages.
>
> OTOH, it's simpler than going to Sun's site and dl/installing
> manually (be it on Windows or Linux) and saves a lot of time over
> Windows method. For the universe/multiverse repositories, it's true
> it could be explained better for newbies, and that should be taken
> care for Dapper or at worst Dapper+1 (just a documentation thing,
> and discussions on ubuntu-dev shows ppl are aware of the matter).

A dialog during the installation process is called for, but the best
solution IMHO is to include it in the OS documentation, preferably in
electronic form (newbies are overwhelmed by all the new stuff during
an install and are not likely to absorb the full meaning of the
dialog).

> But once you've enabled them, everything becomes far simpler than
> on Windows (and enabling them is a breeze too). I'd just like to
> point out that unlike what some misinformed PC magazines would like
> us to believe, anyone that had to install Windows can easily
> realise how Linux distributions are far simpler to install, set up
> and use. A few things has to be learnt (permissions and mounting of
> partitions/cd/floppies), but far less than a total newbie has to
> learn if he's using Windows (I've done the test, and giving newbies
> Linux can be far easier on you than advising them to use Windows).

Funny how this one keeps coming up. The pro-Windows crowd seem to
conveniently gloss over the fact that machines usually come with OEM
windows pre-installed. As another poster described, the mandatory six
monthly maintenance step (full re-install) is a nightmare but few
people complain about that.......

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za