Not a bash, just the facts

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Mar 23 14:27:18 UTC 2006

Loïc Martin wrote:

> I think I must be having visions or we're talking about to different
> things. For me, installing Sun's has always been faster on Ubuntu than
> on Windows : open Synaptic, do a search for "java" (name and
> description) then install j2re1.4 and the j2re that also has in the name
> "mozilla-plugin". Then just accept the license agreement that pops up.

That's the easy way - but it isn't in the default sources.list.  You need to
enable at least universe (though I think it's multiverse).  That's where
the "it must be easier" part comes in :-)  Because of the legal issues, we
can't expect Ubuntu to enable those repositories by default, but it would
be nice if it was clearly explained, early on in the install process, what
you would need to get some of these packages.
--
derek