Not a bash, just the facts

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 23 01:37:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:08:31 -0500
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:20:45AM -0600, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> > Perhaps there could be some way to have these explained very
> > easily upon install. I don't know the best way, but perhaps as an
> > example, when logging in for the first time, an HTML file is opened
> > that clearly explains all the issues such as these (it could even be
> > included in the Ubuntu default startpage in Firefox, for example --
> > quite honestly, this would be exponentially more useful than the
> > current "About Ubuntu" start page" anyway,
> > since users have probably already read at least some of this if
> > they bothered to install Ubuntu).
>
> Hear, hear!  The current start page is of very little use to a new
> user, particularly when it wastes the valuable top section ("above the
> fold") with such boring stuff.
>
> A new user will probably be interested in:
>
>  - How can I do familiar things I expect from a computer?
>
>  - What shiny cool things can I do that I maybe didn't expect?
>
>  - How do I _______?  (FAQ of new user problems)
>
>  - Where do I get more help for free?  Where can I get paid support?
>
>  - Knowing that Ubuntu is an OS (like MS Windows but different),
>    except it is free (not bootleg, nothing illegal, just
>    free--really).  OK to give a copy to friends--please do so.

You've made really good points about the "About Ubuntu" start page that
I, for one, would like to see implemented.  It shouldn't be too hard to
effect that amount of change.

> And this has me thinking.  Maybe Ubuntu needs an official "user
> manual".  That is, a book size work of maybe 200 pages (i.e., a
> bounded scope, substantial but not overwhelming, and not the open
> ended disorientation the web offers), requires little experience
> beyond mouse and keyboard familarity, is useful as both a reference
> and start-to-finish read, can be purchased in physical form or read
> online for free.  Or, does this already exist?
>
> -kb

I think a 200 page book is a little much to expect from a free OS.
Perhaps were it to follow the distributed computing model and a table
of contents be generated by the PTB, then each chapter laid off to a
group of community volunteers...
As for automatic installation of the java, dvd, mp3, etc., doesn't that
sort of go in the face of the Ubuntu philosophy of freedom?  An
automatic installation /after/ a small read and a personal choice
button would be fine, but to come all pre-installed is probably beyond
the pale for Ubuntu.

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs