Can't run X on new nVidia card and computer

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 22 19:19:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:29:22AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> Mark, Peter,
>
> Thank you for responding. I think I must have been unclear. I can not
> log into any kind of graphical interface. I can not see Gnome or anything.
>
> I can only in at a command prompt. So I can't access Synaptic (as far as
> I know), nor can I follow the settings on the web page suggested,
> because they assume that one is working within the GUI.
>
> I need to be able to install my drivers (or adjust my xorg.conf) from a
> command prompt.

probalby you need to use apt-get or aptitude instead of synaptic.  I
always use apt-get myself, though I know most developers hate people
who do that.  in nay case I think
apt-get install [packages] should do what you need

> The other problem is, that since I am completely unused to just the
> command prompt, I have no idea how to move data on or off the computer.
> I can't see any of my removable media drives in the /media/ directory or
> anywhere else.

since you can't start X, gnome-sesison won't start, and neither will
gnome-volume-manager, which is the program that assigns /media
locations to such devices.  so od this:
gnome-volume-manager &
cd /media/
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ./

and then you should have it working.

2 more suggestions:

- you can always try the livecd -- it will likely work even if the
bootcd doesn't -- then you can make whatever changes you need to from
the live system

- I would reocmmend Dapper, which is getting pretty stable and more
likely to support the newest hardware.

good luck!
matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094