software raid

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 22 18:30:27 UTC 2006

David Woyciesjes wrote:
> md0 - raid1 17GB / partition - hda1, hdc1
> md1 - raid5 80GB /home partition - hda2, hdb1, hdc2
> md2 - raid 1 3GB(?) swap partition - hda3, hdc3

Placing swap on a raid1 is kind of silly.  Swap space by definition is
temporary so there is no need for the security raid1 provides.  It is
better to use raid0 or just two plain swap partitions so the data will
be interleaved between the drives which will provide greater speed.

>     First, I yanked both drives on the primary channel. Got a grub
> error 15. First, I need to research what that means, and second, I
> need figure out the right way to put lilo on to replace grub.

Sounds like grub isn't installed on hdc properly.  Fire up the grub
shell and run the setup (hd2) command to install grub to hdc.  As for
installing lilo, don't -- grub is way better.