Xscreensaver Won't Shut Off My Monitor

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 08:17:40 UTC 2006

This worked OK under Breezy.

First, I got rid of gnome-screensaver. It seemed a bit "unfinished".

Installed the old standby, xscreensaver. I've used xscreensaver for a
few years and I am comfortable with it.

I just installed Dapper on a new desktop computer. I'm using my same
monitor that I had with the old machine and Breezy, a NEC MultiSync flat
panel.

With the old machine, xscreensaver would turn off the monitor after a
certain amount of time that I configured. The monitor would go black and
the green power LED would turn yellow. Moving the mouse or hitting a key
would wake it all back up.

But now xscreensaver only blanks the screen. Oh, the screensavers still
work; what I mean is when I configure it to turn off the monitor.

The screen blacks out, but there is still some illumination from the
monitor and the power LED stays green.

Am I missing a package?

David

--