Dapper: ATI Setup - Gamma Correction

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 18:41:15 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I bought a new computer that had on board ATI graphics. I've always used
Nvidia, so this is a new thing for me.

I got graphics hardware acceleration working finally. A lot of searching
in Ubuntu forums did it for me.

One problem left with my graphics - the gamma settings. My NEC flat
panel monitor has a high gamma setting. Unfortunately, there is no gamma
setting with the monitor itself.

With my Nvidia card it was simple. Just add a line to the startup
programs in the sessions dialog that started the Nvidia control panel
long enough to make the corrections then exit.

Are there any command line switches with fireglcontrol, ATI's control
panel? I can seem to find none.

When I set my gamma with fireglcontrol to what looks right to me, it's
set to .74.

If I try to add "Gamma    .74" to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, then X
refuses to start. It won't start with any value less than "1".

Any suggestions? Does Gnome have some "yet as undiscovered by me"
setting to correct gamma?

David