dapper tetex: hyphenation broken?

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Mar 21 10:15:30 UTC 2006

Hi all;

trying to get over some strange error building a larger LaTeX document
after migrating from Debian sid to Dapper Drake, I now see that, same
with this as with every new document I create, hyphenation doesn't
seem to work using Dappers tetex environment. Here's what I found out
about it, so far:

* Trying to build the package gives me a message like this:

- --snip--
latex> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
latex> (babel)                the language `ngerman'
latex> (babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for
\language=0 instead.
latex>
- --snip--

most locale-specific stuff (umlauts et al) works, but hyphenation
doesn't, just gives me a bunch full of "Overful \hbox" messages.

* Tracking down the error, I found
/var/lib/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat to be responsible for
LaTeX language configuration, which is merely empty (besides a bunch
of comments) and, at the end, contains those lines:

- --snip--
%%
%%% /etc/texmf/language.d/10tetex.cnf not included because the
%%% corresponding package seems to be removed.
%%
- --snip--

This is strange, because at least /etc/texmf/language.d/10tetex.cnf
exists.

* Having a look at /usr/sbin/update-languages (which seems to be
responsible for building language.dat), I found that the files in
/etc/texmf/languages are only included if the package name is found in
/var/lib/tex-common/language-cnf/tetex-base.list - 10tetex isn't
within there per default, so the file is not included (why?).

* Anyhow, after 'cat'ing 10tetex.cnf to the end of language.dat,
hyphenation is still broken. Ther are no other tetex- or latex-
packages I might be missing or want to install, and as far as I looked
through the documentation of the ngerman package, the files required
for that are all in place in Dapper.

What's goin' wrong? Am I just too stupid? Did I find a bug? Is my
installation broken?
Can anyone enlighten me about that? :)

TIA and bye,
Kris

- --
Kristian Rink *  http://zimmer428.net * jab: kawazu at jabber.ccc.de
icq: 48874445 *  fon: ++49 176 2447 2771
"Wenn einer allein träumt, ist es nur ein Traum. Wenn viele gemeinsam
träumen, ist das der Anfang einer neuen Wirklichkeit." (Hundertwasser)