Text to Speech Program

Tim Littlemore tim at tjl2.com
Mon Mar 20 23:22:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:56 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> 03202006 1654 GMT-6
>
> Im on gnome.
>
> I really wish the voice was different.
>
> I would like to have alarms for certain emails on Thunderbird. Like,
> if a certain email comes in it says, 'Hey. Im here.'

You can try the Spanish and English voices (they are good for a laugh!):
echo "Hello, I am Spanish" | festival --tts --language spanish
echo "Hello, I am British" | festival --tts --language english

I'm not 100% certain of the above commands, I haven't mucked around on
festival for a while.

I actually used festival to create a WAV file that says 'email' as my
new mail notification noise (it brightens up my sad little life at
work)! There's a special application that comes as part of the festival
package that will do generate WAVs for you, I think it's called
text2wave or something similar...
--
Tim Littlemore <tim at tjl2.com>