Thinkpad numeric keypad doesn't do numbers

Laura Conrad lconrad at laymusic.org
Mon Mar 20 00:26:31 UTC 2006

    >> Thanks, but that doesn't seem to fix my problem.  Mine isn't
    >> that it doesn't recognize the numlock key -- it's that it does the
    >> wrong thing once it sees it.  Does anyone know where to fix that?

    Danielc> Please describe what occurs when you attempt to use the numpad keys
    Danielc> after pressing shift+NumLk.

The key labeled "K" should become "2" if I press numlock
(actually shift NumLk/ScrLk).

There seem to be two states:

      If I press numlock and type k, I get nothing, and shift-numlock
      also gives gives nothing.

      However, if I turn on caps lock and then press numlock, I get a
      beep when I press K, but a 2 when I press shift-k

I have investigated further:

  I hooked up an external keyboard with a separate keypad, and its
  numlock key doesn't cause the keypad to become numeric either.
  Although unlike the one on the laptop keyboard, it does turn the
  numlock light on.  (Both the one on the keyboard and the one on the
  Thinkpad).

  But when I'm in console mode, outside of X, both the laptop keyboard
  and the external keyboard keypads function as expected.  So at least
  there's a workaround, but of course I'd rather use X.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011