printer queues

Bill Marcum bmarcum at iglou.com
Sun Mar 19 23:55:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:48:48 -0600, Jay Ridgley
  <jridgley2 at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> How do I name a local printer queue and allow it to be used by other
> systems in my network?
>
> I have tried to create a network printer and it apparently does not take
> on the local system.
>
> I have created a local printer and that works. That printer is not
> named, however. Can I name it?

How did you create the printer?  If you use Gnome, you can't change the
printer name.  If you use lpadmin or the cups web interface, you can
choose the name.  See /usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz for
information about allowing network printing and allowing
administration via the web interface.

> What I would like to have is a unix style printer queue. For example on
> the local system the printer would be named sysps. As a networked
> printer, from another system it would be host:sysps.

Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to let cups listen on an interface other than
localhost.  If you want to allow printing from Windows clients, you may
need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf.

> BTW printing a test page forces A4 paper, hard to do when I have a US
> letter printer and have defined the printer settings for that.

It works for me.

--
I come from a small town whose population never changed.  Each time a woman
got pregnant, someone left town.