Timing Out Dialer

Romy Albano rpalbano at operamail.com
Sun Mar 19 20:50:24 UTC 2006

Hello fellow Ubuntu enthusiasts and friends:

I recently ordered the single Kubuntu 5.04 (i386) CD (from
CheapISO.com) and installed it on my IBM 390X ThinkPad (Pentium III, 450 Mgh. 128MB RAM).  At first glance, I instantly fell in love with Kubuntu and would like to use and keep it on my laptop permanently!

When I try to connect to my ISP, however, with Aztech 56K EM6800-U at COM1, that RS232 modem always timed out and constantly kept redialing afterwards--never really connecting.

I suspect this to be due to the dialer's (kppd) maximum time out setting of only 120 seconds.

Since the minutes it takes for me to connect to my ISP takes a little bit longer, how can I increase the dialer's defaultedly configured time out?  Please show me how to do it.

It still will take a millenia for DSL to reach our locality.
Everybody with ISPs here connects to the Internet via telephone lines and modems.

So any valuable help you will give shall be greatly appreciated. Have a good day!  And I would like to thank you for taking the time to assist me in my inquiry.

Romy Albano
rpalbano at operamail.com