Very mini linux [OT]

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Sat Mar 18 20:47:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:12:43PM +0000, Thomas Beckett wrote:

> I have been asked if it is possible to create a linux boot floppy
<snip>
> The problem is that the machine it is to run on is an old leco
> chemistry automation machine. This machine is based on a 286 (i think)
If it is indeed a 286 then no Linux will run on it; the 286 lacks a
hardware memory management unit, and Linux absolutely requires one[1].

> Does anybody know of any resources that might be able to help me?

Does it really have to be this computer that does the job? In the
developed world at least it is often possible to acquire second hand
pentium class machines for absolutely nothing - people are usually
grateful you'll take them away; that would seem a simpler approach.

Ewan

[1] uCLinux doesn't, but it's not really Linux. It also seems to to have
an x86 port. <http://www.uclinux.org/>