"high memory" issue

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Mar 18 12:12:47 UTC 2006

I added a second 521 MB SIMM to my Pentium M laptop, but it adversely
affected peformance; it slowed the system way down. Vendor says it has
something to do with "a high memory conflict", and he advised adding
'mem=512' to the grub kernel parameters as a temporary measure while
he investigates further. After doing so, system runs normally again
but of course only sees 512MB. A Google search returns some hits but
mostly from three or four years ago with older kernels, ie, 2.4 and
earlier. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? I am running
Breezy with the 2.6.12-10 kernel

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam