Resolution and Soundcard problem on 915GAG

Arjun Shankar arjunsha at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 07:33:05 UTC 2006

snip:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 08:27:44PM +0530, Arjun Shankar wrote:
> > scrolled off my screen. Sound trouble stays the same.

snip:
> Please CC me and attach the output from ``lspci -v ; lspci -nv ;
> cat /proc/asound/cards && amixer -c0''.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Daniel T. Chen            crimsun at ubuntu.com

snip:
>In any case, the box is still on 640x480 and I don't know how to go
>about it. I am attaching the outputs, including the one for the sound
>card.
>Thanks for taking interest, and if you are developing ubuntu :) (im
>guessing from your alternate email id), then hope this helps.
>And did I mention earlier that its a 32 bit version?
>Arjun Shankar

I just followed these instructions given in this workaround for 915
chipsets on the wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/i915Driver

After that I restarted X with Ctrl+Alt+BkSp. startx errored out, so I
rebooted with a 'sudo reboot' and it working just fine.

Still havent checked if the it will the stand the test of a cold boot,
because supposedly, the '915resolution' program (referred to in the
wiki) makes only 'transient' changes to BIOS, and needs to be applied
every reboot.

It would however be nice if Dapper 'Just Works' as I said before.
Anyways, this distro really rocks! :)

Arjun Shankar