kernel prbs w/ext USB equip

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri Mar 17 17:43:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 17:20, C Hamel wrote:
> On Friday 17 March 2006 05:17, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > I'd say the first step is to turn debug logging on - I see it's
> > disabled in the standard .config. First option below USB mass
> > storage support. Hopefully you will get the identical behaviour
> > and also an explanation in the logs.
>
> I guess I'll have to roll my own kernel, then.  I had thought of
> compiling usb_storage into the kernel so it wouldn't be unloaded,
> but I need the build tools.  I read somewhere on this list that
> 'apt-get install build-essentials' will set me up but since I get a
> 'pkg not found' (or whatever the error is) I can only surmise I
> need a new line in my sources.list and would appreciate someone
> enlightening me as to what that line is.

It'll be a regular repository such as ubuntu.archive.com activate it
from synaptic. Installing build-essentials is a good thing to do as a
matter of routine, and to compile a kernel you'll need gcc 3.4 or
whatever the current version is. The rest of the distro is compiled
with gcc 4, don't try compile a kernel with it, it is unlikely to
work. I don't do any compiling on Ubuntu so I don't know the package
names off-hand but synaptic will find them

> > I'm not familiar with that device, what other modules does it
> > load? grepping the kernel source doesn't return anything useful,
> > and because everything else seems to work for you that indicates
> > the problem is local to that model and/or it's drivers.
>
> As far as I am able to determine the usb_storage module is the only
> one loaded.  Apparently everything else --if it needs anything
> else-- is either already loaded on boot-up or is compiled into the
> kernel.
>
> > I fear you will coaster a few more blanks before this is over,
> > put it down to your personal contribution to the revolution :-)
>
> I don't mind a couple coasters if I know progress is being made.
> K3b, however, seems to be notorious for telling me a particular
> error is 'not necessarily serious' and then turning that media into
> a coaster 100% of the time.  It also sits back and grins as I
> change from DAO to TAO --at its advising-- and then commences to
> turn yet one more medium into a coaster. K3b still is one of the
> better tools I have used, so I keep using it.

You'll be better off using command line tools like cdrecord while
debugging this, to be able to see error messages as they happen. k3b
is a fine product but like all gui tools it can insulate you from
what is actually happening

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za