Mixing Repositories ...

Christian Eichert moga at mx.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 17 17:24:03 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton schrieb:
> Christian Eichert wrote:

> Are you nuts??  Why do you think Ubuntu provides its own kernels? Why do you
> think Debian provides its own kernels? Just because Ubuntu's roots are in
> Debian doesn't mean that you can blithely expect Debian packages to work.
> Ubuntu packagers go to a lot of work to make sure that _their_ packages
> work with Ubuntu.  Debian packagers, quite rightly, don't make _any_
> attempt to make sure their packages work with Ubuntu.  You might just as
> well get mad at Debian "because of this habbits."

OK lets not argue.

I succeded booting the 2.6.15-1
>From now one I must wait and replace packages one by one until I am free
again.

What I wanted to say is that :
- Debian is the roots, All Ubuntus and DSl and Knoppix and else there is
calling itself use debian to make their packages. That's why people
trust them. They say it's like Debian.

- Noone trusts Debian because it's like Ubuntu.

- So the packages where written for Debian and adapted to some other
debian clone and not viceversa.

- You make Ubuntu out of Debian not Debian out of Ubuntu. That's the
point. There are no Ubuntu developer, just Ubuntu Packager.

- Ubuntu is a Company where people work from 9 to 5, and Debian is the
big wide comunity.

feel free and drink a beer ;)