troubled installations

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Fri Mar 17 15:11:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 06:01, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I have tried to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu twice. Unfortunately both
> times there was such a catastrophic result that I had to reformat my
> hard disk. I do not want this to happen again, so I am imploring you to
> help me. I really do want to get started learning the system.
>
> Here's what happened both times. The installation of 5.1 in a dual boot
> with my XP Home went without a hitch. Or so I thought. I was able to
> work within both Ubuntu or Windows after choosing at boot-up.
>
> I have my hard disk partitioned in C: NTFS for XP, and two other data
> partitions. (By the way, I never did succeed in mounting the data
> partitions for access from Ubuntu!) When I viewed the partitions later
> using Partition Magic 8 in Windows, instead of the partitions I expected
> to see plus the Linux ones, all I saw was a long "mask" covering the
> entire HD and labeled BAD.
>
> Since both OS's worked, in spite of the "BAD" label, I was able to save
> everything before the reformatting, but I would prefer a clean
> partitioning, as I have been able to achieve with Fedora and Suse. With
> the mask in place, I cannot resize the partitions or otherwise work with
> the disk. I suspect this has something to do with not being able to see
> the data partitions and mount them in Ubuntu.
>
> Can anyone suggest why this happened? Might I have been doing something
> wrong during the installations? Or, is this normal with Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks in advance, Avraham Hanadari

If I understand your note, I may be able to help, a little, since your dilemma
sounds familiar.

If you think you might want to resize partitions at any point you should do it
w/PQM, rather than the installation engine.  I was told by someone on another
list that the prob was related to partitioning using linux fdisk & then
attempting to use PQM or Parted --something about bounderies, I think.
Someone else could probably explain the technical area better than myself.

I don't think you would necessarily have had to reformat, but since you
apparently have you might try making the partitions w/PQM, first, then allow
the installation engine to format those partitions for you.  Everything
_should_work_!  If not, you have a prob somewhere else, perhaps.

As for your data partitions, I have XP & two others which are accessible --one
for root & one for /home data files (the /home skeleton is on the same
partition as the root directory on both my kubuntu installations so they
share the same data).  It's all in the fstab lines, and when you get up &
running I would be happy to share mine, if you like.

HTH (at least a little)...
--
	...CH

This message was scanned for Spam and Viruses by Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall