Modem on Breazy Badger

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 17 07:32:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:44:56 +0000, Rein Mann wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone tell me how to make my modem work.
> The LT Winmodem is recognized in the hardware manager but
> can't be found in applications.
> I am on broadband, so do NOT need a dial-up connection.
> I want to use the modem for FAX and SMS.
> 'sudo pppconfig' isn't the answer because it will only set up the modem
> for an ISP.
> Any ideas, please?
> Rein Mann

The Lucent WinModem requires a special Debian driver package, available
from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem for the installed
kernel. If such a package is not available, then the driver source code
must first be downloaded, compiled, and packaged.

The package can then be installed with
"sudo dpkg -i <full-package-name..deb", which provides the modules
ltserial and ltmodem. Install them with "sudo modprobe ltserial". These
modules should load automatically on boot, if not add ltserial to
/etc/modules. The device is called something like /dev/LTM0.

The ppp0 device should be run with mgetty -- read the man pages for the
details (it's a long time ago that I used mgetty+efax for something
similar).

Good hunting!