Dapper -- Any way to configure WEP encryption using a passphrase rather than key?

Tim T. tim.timmerman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 05:58:00 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/15/06, Tim T. <tim.timmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 3/15/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com > wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > With Fedora Core running NetworkManager, I get prompted for a
> passphrase
> > > for a new WEP connection.  I have a Linksys AP.  When I set up the
> access
> > > point, I entered "sometext" as my passphrase and this caused a hex key
> > > to be generated.
> > >
> > <snip>
> >  I believe this mode of operation is called WPA.. If I'm right, you
> might
> > want to look at wpa-supplicant
> >   (not too sure about the spelling ;-)
> >
> >    TImT.
>
> WPA is different from WEP.  For WPA you need wpa-supplicant.  For WPE,
> you can use network-manager directly.  But like the original poster,
> the only I have ever been able to use it is if I use the HEX key when
> prompted.  Using the paraphrase never worked for me.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WEP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access
>
> "Several serious weaknesses were identified by cryptanalysts, and WEP
> was superseded by Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) in 2003"

I stand corrected..

I wonder though : is the 'generating a key from a passphrase algorithm'
perhaps vendor specific, or is there a standard algorithm for this. Does
typing
a passphrase work on windows ?

And if there is a standard algorithm, has no body ported it to linux, not
even
the linksys people ?

TimT