[Dapper] Mouse

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Mar 17 04:17:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:01:24 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:

[ And Peter Garrett previously wrote ]

> > I take your point about mouse settings  - but my point remains that
> > _for a naive user_ , clicking behaviour would be expected to be
> > under a "mouse" heading rather than a "file management" setting.
>
> Without meaning to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons, I'd suggest
> that click behaviour goes in a third category, Desktop. To
> illustrate:
>
> Desktop:
> 	Click behaviour
> 	Menus
> 	Background
> 	etc

< snipped>

Yes, that makes sense - in fact if it were labelled "Click Behaviour" that
would be pretty clear - *but*  there are, in fact, "Click Behaviour"
settings already under "Mouse": -  just not single/double click settings.

Really, I feel it's just a question of making this discoverable to the new
user - I'm not looking at it from a "logical" viewpoint so much as a
"where can a user find the setting?" viewpoint. The new user cares little
where it is, just as long as it is obvious!

There may be good technical reasons why the "Mouse" dialogue can't handle
this function as well. I'm not a coder so I can't say. It does seem to me
that either having the double/single click option in both places
( programmers don't like redundancy, but users might in a case like this),
or at least a pointer to the place to do it, might be an idea. For example:
a button to click that launches that function from within the "mouse"
dialogue.

People are used to clickable links, right ?  ;-)

 -- Peter Garrett