xorg and thinkpad x40

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Thu Mar 16 15:29:49 UTC 2006

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 16:25 -0500, Jaime Davila wrote:
>

>>Has anyone managed to get ubuntu breezy on an IBM thinkpad x40, with an
>>i810 chip set, to mirror the laptop's lcd into a CRT?
>

> I have a similar video chipset in my JVC MiniNote, and I use the package
> "i810switch" to control the VGA output.  No noticeable problems so far,
> and nothing special required in the xorg configuration.  I hooked the
> included "i810rotate" script up to the ACPI event generated by my
> laptop's video toggle button.  Video output seemed fine on the projector
> and plasma screen when I tested it.

note: solved one problem, found another. The new problem is listed at
the bottom.

Interesting. I apt-got i810switch, and it does the switching, but the
problem persists when both the lcd and the crt are on. I've finally
confirmed  that the problem is the refresh rate being used on the vga
out, by using the menu keys on a screen; when both crt and lcd are on
it's one thing, and it's another when only the crt is on (which is when
I got a good image on the crt). I am now using i855crt to solve that
problem by changing the refresh rate used on the vga out. I haven't
found any other way of specifying the refresh rate for the vga port. I
just saw that there is an option that can be given to the i810 driver in
the xorg file, but the default value is 60Hz, which is what works on the
crt. I'll try to specify it explicitly to see if it makes any difference.

New problem: stuff that uses Xv is not showing up on the crt. Like, for
example, the movie image part of xine. I just get a blue screen. That's
true when using i855crt, or even when using the regular fn-f7 to send
the output to only the crt. The tar ball for i855crt has a patch that is
supposed to be applied to i830_video.c . I rather not get into that, if
I can avoid it. Anyone knows of a way for me to avoid it? If not, can
anyone offer some instructions about how to compile the file once I've
patched it?

TIA,

Jaime

Jaime J. Davila