ndiswrapper -i <driver> error

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Thu Mar 16 14:34:17 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 02:18, Tod Merley wrote:
> On 3/15/06, C Hamel <yogich at sc2000.net> wrote:
> > Wireless-tools is installed, ndiswrapper will load as a module but it
> > will not
> > install the necessary driver, seemingly.  I used 'ndiswrapper -i
> > <driver>' which I believe is the correct syntax.  ...Or is it??
> >
> > Help!! :-)
> > --
> >         ...CH
> >
> > --
>
> Hi CH,
>
> Some tutorials and info can be found here:
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ubuntu
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper?action=show&redirect=Se
>tupNdiswrapperHowto
>
> For some reason most leave out the part where the wrapped driver is
> associated with the hardware (a pci thing usually).  This is done by, if
> memory serves, doing an:
>
> lspci -v
>
> Note your wireless hardware in the output then do an:
>
> lspci -n
>
> Find the entry by comparing the two outputs and note the number of the form
> XXXX:XXXX (see ndiswrapper -h for a bit of reminder).  Then do an:
>
> ndiswrapper -d XXXX:XXXX driver
>
> Where the XXXX:XXXX are the numbers located above (your devid) and driver
> was described by a previous:
>
> ndiswrapper -l
>
> Which found your successfully wrapped driver (be careful of spelling and
> case so do the ndiswrapper -l).
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Tod

Unfortunately, I forgot to add that I got a 'Device not found' when I
attempted to (1)ifconfig wlan0 up; (2)ifconfig eth0 up; (3)ifconfig wlan0
up ...which I tried *after* sending, as it only occurred to me to try that
after unloading bcm43xx driver which complains about microcode.

In short, I hope this will fix that prb... thanks, much, for the pointers! :-)
I'll give that a shot and stand by for addenda, if any.

--
	...CH

This message was scanned for Spam and Viruses by Barracuda Networks Spam Firewall