ndiswrapper -i <driver> error

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 08:18:52 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, C Hamel <yogich at sc2000.net> wrote:

> Wireless-tools is installed, ndiswrapper will load as a module but it will
> not
> install the necessary driver, seemingly.  I used 'ndiswrapper -i <driver>'
> which I believe is the correct syntax.  ...Or is it??
>
> Help!! :-)
> --
>         ...CH

Hi CH,

Some tutorials and info can be found here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ubuntu

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper?action=show&redirect=SetupNdiswrapperHowto

For some reason most leave out the part where the wrapped driver is
associated with the hardware (a pci thing usually).  This is done by, if
memory serves, doing an:

lspci -v

Note your wireless hardware in the output then do an:

lspci -n

Find the entry by comparing the two outputs and note the number of the form
XXXX:XXXX (see ndiswrapper -h for a bit of reminder).  Then do an:

ndiswrapper -d XXXX:XXXX driver

Where the XXXX:XXXX are the numbers located above (your devid) and driver
was described by a previous:

ndiswrapper -l

Which found your successfully wrapped driver (be careful of spelling and
case so do the ndiswrapper -l).

I hope this helps!

Tod